Saturday, January 22, 2011

Teenage years

You are warned about the terrible twos but does anyone really tell you what it is like to be the father of a teenager? I have heard from many the words "Just wait!" but what does that mean? As the father of a 16 year old and a 13 year old I am sitting here and wonder what it is I am supposed to be waiting for....in the end I guess I can make a list:
I now have to wait for the shower
I wait to use the bathroom
I wait for the over flowing trash to be taken out
I wait for a new trash bag to be put in the can
I wait to use my house phone
I wait to use my computer
I wait for them to come to the car after school
I wait for them to make 4 trips back into their friends house to get all their stuff
I wait for them to come to the dinner table so I can eat
I wait for them to show me the papers I have to sign yesterday!
I wait for them to pick up their rooms
I wait for them to call and tell me when and where they need picked up
I sit here typing waiting to find out if their plans will out weigh my plans
I wait for my turn to pick a show to watch
I wait at an inconspicuous spot for them after a movie so I do not cramp their style
And I wait, and wait and wait.....I am not sure that this is what my friends meant but it is what I do. I sit back and wait and watch as my children find their place in the world. It is not easy and I do not always wait quietly but I can tell you that so far it has been worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment